What’s the big idea?
Here are 10 you can’t afford to forget from 2022.
2022 has been quite a year filled with plenty of uncertainty. Most of all, it’s been a year of stepping back, and making thoughtful, long-term decisions for you, your family, and your business.
Throughout the past 12 months, we’ve shared some thought-provoking tips. So, let’s recap 10 of the biggest ideas in 2022.
1. Avoid Emotional Decision Making: The markets can trigger your fight-or-flight response. Don’t forget to take a moment to process the situation. Step back, think about your long-term goals, and consult before you make a knee-jerk decision with your money.
2. Look Before You Give: We are all philanthropic, especially when people in our community and our world need help. But how can you make sure your money makes the greatest charitable impact? Make sure to do your research. Charity Navigator (https://www.charitynavigator.org/) is a great resource to make sure your donations go directly to support programs you care about.
3. Inflation, Stagflation, Shrinkflation, and Skimpflation: Whenever there is a moment of economic deflation, pundits love to coin rhyming terms that all say the same thing: You’re getting less while paying more. Don’t get distracted by headlines and flashy terminology. Now is the time to focus on your plan and keep an eye on your goals.
4. Insurance and a Bigger Umbrella for Rainy Days: Financial confidence goes deeper than a comprehensive investment portfolio and a well-developed plan. An umbrella policy is an essential component of a portfolio to help protect your family’s legacy. It can help provide coverage when personal liability maxes out.
5. What Happens if I’m set to Retire in a Bear Market? Markets are unsettled and we’re all living longer. This means stretching your retirement nest egg. If you’re approaching retirement and markets are declining, perhaps consider delaying retirement; retiring in phases; or recalibrating your vision for the next act of your life.
6. Time in the Market is Better Than Market Timing: Investing isn’t about guessing. It’s about thoughtfully creating a portfolio based on your time horizon, risk tolerance, goals, and objectives. Don’t be a daredevil with your nest egg. It’s important to stick to the time-tested principles of long-term investing and stay the course.
7. Get the Conversation Started: Creating wealth that lasts for generations begins with a conversation. Ensure your family is on the same page by sharing your wealth mission, communicating your expectations, and reviewing important estate planning documents together.
8. College Savings: Whether you have a new baby, a new grandchild or kids entering high school, you probably have a lot of questions about how you’re going to pay for their higher education. Every situation is different. Make sure to balance saving for college with your own retirement savings.
9. Don’t Forget About Life Insurance: According to a LIMRA study, more than half of Americans (53%) say they haven’t purchased (or purchased more) life insurance because they are unsure how much they need or what type to buy. Take time to update your beneficiaries and protect both your family and your business with life insurance.
10. Trust the Process: It is important to trust your team and the process. You aren’t in this alone. We’re here to help. Feel free to call or email us to set up some time to talk.